From city to city - This stop is London, 倫敦.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

First day of work (wrok in progress)

I need to do a little presentation for my public speaking class.  As I am a super lazy person, I didn't do much research and thought I will just use my first day of work as a topic.  The presentation was quite well received so I thought I might as well put it here for my own memory

Good morning everyone, today I am going to talk about my personal experience which most of you can relate to.  That is my first day of work.  Can you please raise your hand if you were nervous on your first day of work.  (Everyone raise their hand including the professor) To me, the first day of work to totally a nerve wacking thing.  You are faced with the unknow, new environment, new desk, new office, new colleagues.  Will your colleagues be gossipy? Will your guy sitting next to you have bad breath? Will your boss be checking your email? Or will he/she be checking the websites you went on during work? It is all these uncertainties that make your first day so exciting! (yeah, it is never really about the job itself.)  To add on to it, you won't really find out the answer until a couple of months, which means you are really going to be uncomfortable for quite a while.

My first day of work was last wednesday. I was greeted with a warm welcome from my boss and the team.   Luckily my neighbours are all very nice ladies with no breath problems.
My boss took me around the office and introduced to everyone.  She said she didn't expect me to remember any names but hers.  What a relief!!! The whole morning I was dealing with IT about my computer login issues,  so Tom was the name that I remember the most but whom I have never met in person.

During lunch, my neighbours start filling me with the various kinds of employee benefits offered by the company.  Things are looking good so far.

Since it is a french company, there are a lot of french speaking people.  My knowledge of french are quite limited to merci, bonjour.... so at first I was worried that it will be difficult to communicate with them.  (we all know about the love-hate relationship between the english and french).  My worries were gone when I met them at the pantry and expressed our love for nespresso machine.  In no time, i became a member of the coffee club!

The whole day went by quickly as my colleagues start familiarizing myself with the systems.  They aren't that interesting so I am not going to talk about it.  But may I say I am good to find out a lot of groupon emails in my boss's inbox.  She has been quite generous in sharing some of the good deals she found on the internet.

I left work at 5:30pm.  My first day honestly went by in the blur... The relax atmosphere in the office actually help me to ease off my tension.  It helps me to feel being included...

The reason I want to do a reflection on this is because I think I can learn something from this experience.  Next time when there is a new joiner I know what I should do to make their life easier.  Because I know everyone is nervous on their first day.  And it means a lot to help them feel more comfortable on this exciting new day.

I guess at the end of the day, people are looking for the feeling of being included, to feel being part of something.

I won't say I am 100% comfortable with my new environment.  But I think it is a good start, and I look forward to share more groupon deals and staff discount with my colleagues in my future.  And I will always have gum at my desk.

No comments: