From city to city - This stop is London, 倫敦.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

入院記 (Days in the hospital)


After 10 hours when the stomach pain became unbearable, I finally called John and said I want to go to the hospital.
After an hour and a half later, John came back home (damn the british train). He called 999 and had the following conversation with the operator

"My girlfriend has been in huge stomach pain for hours, she cannot walk downstairs, can you get an ambulance here?"

"Is she bleeding?"

"No."

"Is she unconscious?"

"No."

"Unfortunately this is not considered an emergency situation, we can get you an ambulance but it will take about an hour. It might be better if you go with a taxi."

This was the night before my flight back to Hong Kong. The purpose of the trip is to spend my last Chinese New Year with my family before creating a new one of my own. And of course, the wedding is only weeks after Chinese New Year

Well, you never know what happen in life don't you. So I was admitted to Charing Cross hospital 3 days before the end of year of Cow.

I don't recall how many doctors / consultants came to see me. But I do recall none of them "looks" of British origin. (they look either Arabic / Indian ) They exchanged views about my symptons in language that I did not understand. They of course explained what they discussed to me and john in english afterwards. Honestly speaking, under such huge physical pain, I would not have understand anything they said, even in english / cantonese.

They gave me strong painkillers which puts me to sleep... I recalled seeing John sitting next to my bed, I tried to talk to him but I didn't really have an idea what I was talking about. The doctors couldn't find out what happen and I need to stay in the hospital for further checks. I was still in huge pain that I had to crawl off bed and bend on my knee to make my stomach feels better. It was sooo painful that I yelled....so they gave me strong painkillers and I was in deep sleep again.

.............................

The next day, the hospital went through a lot of checks, urine sample, ultra sound (twice!). In the evening, the doctor came to us

"Since we are not entirely convinced of the situation, it can be period pain, it can be an infection or it can be appendicities. We have decided to perform an operation tonight to have a look. As it will be the same procedure as taking out the appendicities, we will take it out as well."

"Doctor, I am getting married in 3 weeks in Hong Kong. Will I be able to make it?"

"oh dont worry... you will recover in a week!"

I was on the phone with my dad, so I told him immediately. I myself was too drugged / pained to get scared (it is the first operation I have ever had in my life afterall) But I noticed John's face went green.

"Eva, this is a small operation, don't need to worry about it. Daddy can explain to you the details."

"Dad, actually I am not that worried. Why don't you explain to John instead because he looks really upset."

.................

The operation didn't take place until the next day. That was the last day of the year of Cow.

No comments: