From city to city - This stop is London, 倫敦.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Dealing with Europeans

Ok... maybe I am a bit over generalized.... But I believe I have experienced the typical european experience through my application to Barcelona for an exchange program...

My application went in mid-July.. for program starting in Sept 28. (ok.. I was a bit late)
I got a reply back in early Aug.... they acknowledged that I need a univeristy letter in order to get a visa. Unforunately the whole univeristy (or the whole country) is on vacation in Aug so they cannot issue it to me until early Sept!

so I know Spanish are really serious about their holidays! One whole month in the Summer!

So finally when everyone is back to work (both physically and mentally) It is September 4 when they sent the letter in REGULAR mail.

Under normal circumstances, a regular mail from Spain to UK should take less than one week.
BUT......... thanks to the strike of the UK Royal Mail, it is not "you've got mail" but "lost in mail"

Another lesson: Postal Strike! plus... why would someone send something urgent using regular mail?

then I need to call the Spanish Embassy for a visa appointment. I have experienced the longest holding time but the shortest speaking time. like a ratio of 20mins :2mins...

So after speaking Span-English, the embassy has to notify me of the interview by writing. And not a surprise, the letter arrived one day after the interview date... sweet...

one word: dysfunction

So now I have to activate my plan B : which is going to HK to plan my wedding and go to NY/ Toronto to visit my new baby friends = )

Barcelona: I will eventually come for a visit. But in the meantime I will enjoy the efficiency of the Asian countries.

No comments: